August 1, 2022 | By Carly Weihe
Welcome to Digiday’s DealBook. Our focus is to create a quick and easy rundown of the deals, acquisitions and hires that took place last week. The goal is to inform and update you on the latest happenings in the industry at the top of your inbox each Monday. — Carly Weihe
- As Q2 earnings rolled out last week, it was clear that some major platforms struggled to perform amid growing economic uncertainty. Snap, Twitter and Meta fared worse than Google, which maintained its quarterly projections.
- Twitter has announced it will have a shareholder’s meeting to approve Elon Musk’s acquisition of the company, despite the ongoing lawsuit between the two parties. The meeting of the shareholders will be live streamed on Sept. 13, a month before the official lawsuit is scheduled to begin in Delaware in October. While Musk has agreed to the Twitter lawsuit beginning on Oct. 17, earlier than expected, some are skeptical that he will try to delay the lawsuit further.
- Shopify and Vox Media both announced they will be laying off a portion of their staff following Q2 earnings and economic uncertainty. Shopify will lay off 10% of its workforce, while Vox will lay off 2%.
- Ad-tech company Tremor International acquired Amobee for $239 million. The deal includes Amobee’s omnichannel DSP platform and will help Tremor expand globally.
- MTV announced a new “Best Metaverse Performance” category for its 2022 Video Music Award. The move marks the continued shift of pop culture into the metaverse.
- Trailer Park Group, an entertainment and marketing company, announced the launch of Mutiny, a new gaming agency. The new agency will further the company’s growth in the gaming and esports space.
Digiday Top Stories
Atlas Obscura thinks local with creative print campaigns to keep ad revenue flowing amid travel spike
Atlas Obscura is projecting its total 2022 revenue will be three times higher than in 2021, thanks in part to travel advertisers’ increasing spend.
Media Buying Briefing: How the recession is affecting independent agencies
Some in the marketing and media landscape are already feeling the pinch of a recession, both at holding companies and indie shops serving up media, digital, experiential, performance and creative work.
Editor’s Letter: Why Digiday is experimenting with NFTs
Learn why Digiday is launching an editorial package dedicated to exploring the value of NFTs outside of earning a quick buck.
Amazon Briefing: Los vendedores extranjeros son cautelosamente optimistas sobre los cambios en el negocio de Amazon en Europa
Esta es la última entrega de Amazon Briefing, una columna semanal de Modern Retail sobre el siempre cambiante ecosistema de Amazon. Para recibirla en su bandeja de entrada cada semana, suscríbase aquí. Amazon está haciendo concesiones que permiten a los vendedores europeos tener más control, pero algunos de ellos no están seguros de que los […]
Tras años de hipercrecimiento, llegan los despidos al sector minorista
Después de experimentar altos niveles de crecimiento en los últimos dos años, una gran ola de despidos empresariales está afectando a varios sectores del comercio minorista. En los últimos dos años, la mayoría de los sectores de esta industria han experimentado un gran crecimiento. En 2021, las ventas de ropa en Estados Unidos se dispararon […]